Sunday, April 12, 2009

Traffic

Maybe it's the time of day, that in-between time when it's still light, but the color is fading...At any rate, my eyes aren't what they used to be.  Not that I have any trouble driving, I'm an excellent driver and have the unblemished record to prove it.  But honestly, sometimes they do play tricks.  

Yesterday as I was driving home from work I was slowing down near the intersection of Main and Great Road.   I happened to glance in the rear view mirror, I think I often do that at stoplights...I couldn't really make out the face of the person in the car behind me.  Well, I could and I couldn't.  The thing is, there were reflections on the windshield, and of course I don't keep my rear window as clean as I should.  I swear, though, for a moment what I saw was a grey, elongated face, or at least what used to be a face:  There were dark holes where the eyes should have been, and the mouth was another dark hole, rounded and open...Honestly, I did quite a double take.  But then I could see that the person at the wheel was wearing  a hood, you know, one of those "hoodie" things, I think they call them.  And maybe dark glasses.  It did give me a start, though.  And I was so distracted that I missed my turn and ended up getting a little lost - which was very hard to explain to Ben when I got home - How could I have gotten lost so close to home?